In 1959, Hubert de Givenchy established his couture atelier, in what was formerly the Hôtel de Caraman. Located at number 3 Avenue George V in the 8th arrondissement, the original 1898 mansion was commissioned by the French aristocrat and politician Maurice de Riquet, Duke of Caraman. Its prestigious and refined design is the work of architect Louis Parent, who conceived the residence in the spirit of other contemporary constructions along the avenue. After the turn of the century, this elegant neighborhood became the epicenter of Parisian fashion and haute couture. The building was remodeled in 1960. The four windows on the ground floor and entresol were transformed into display windows. The original monumental staircase, with its banister and elaborate ironwork, welcomes visitors to this day. An understated contemporary interior décor highlights the historic vestiges of this 19th century aristocratic residence.